Subject: Re: LW 4.0 wish list
From: Derek Glidden <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 1994 19:10:44 -0500

On Thu, 27 Oct 1994, James Jones/Nibbles and Bits wrote:

> At the risk of sounding like I don't get out much, what's a negative
> light and animated projection lights? (If you've got a minute...)
> 
> Negative light sounds like something called a "flashdark" I once saw
> in a cartoon... it cast a pool of dark instead of, ah... light. :)

Yup, that's pretty much exactly what it is.  :) 3DS (Gag) will actually do
subtractive light addition (Oxymoron) if you enter negative numbers for
the light intensity.  Kinda cool.  It would also be neat if (and Lightwave
may already do this, I'm a PC geek so I have never used Lightwave but I
eagerly await the PC version so I can ditch this POS 3DStudio stuff) like
Imagine does, let you enter numbers that are above the 255 "limit" and
those severely intense light sources will wash out the image.  I found
that feature really useful for things like blinding explosions and running
real close to bright lights and stuff. 

An animated projection light is a spotlight that acts like a film 
projector.  Instead of a solid color, it projects an image of an 
animation.  So for example if you have a 30-frame animation assigned to 
the projector spotlight, each frame it will project a single frame from 
that animation onto whatever you're aiming the spotlight at.  It's useful 
for doing things like water reflections (Make an animation of a water 
surface and then project that on the walls around the water surface) 
and... movie projectors.  :)